Meet The Avocet Team
Who are we?
There is no company quite like Avocet Steel. This family business was established in 1996 by Graham Hall, the current MD, drawing on the experience of three generations in steel. Grandfather Bill worked the hot mill at John Summers, father Stan launched Zintec for the British Steel Corporation and Graham had 20 years experience as a senior manager in stockholding. Kieren, the fourth generation, joined in March 2012. There is iron in the soul of Avocet Steel.
From 1st October 2020 after 8 years in the business, Kieren will take over from Graham as Managing Director. This was always the plan and since joining in 2012 Kieren has been instrumental in transforming Avocet Steel strip from a steel focused business into Avocet Precision Metals, a key supplier of strategic multi metal products vital for hi-tech manufacturing particularly in the electronics and green energy sectors. The company is now looking towards further growth and expansion in innovation and manufacturing. This new direction will require the knowledge skills drive and energy that Kieren brings by the truck load. The time is therefore right for him to assume the leadership position that he richly deserves. Please join us in congratulating him.
What do we do?
Our customers in the manufacturing industry have seen some difficult times in the last 30 years and continue to face severe challenges in their markets, particularly from huge low cost competitors in the Far East, India and Brazil. Many of the economies of scale now exploited by these competitors are unavailable in the UK and Europe. Those customers who have survived and thrived are those that have adapted. They have recognised that their strength lies not in run of the mill products but in the special, the high-tec and the bespoke.
That’s where we come in. We have allied ourselves with principals and suppliers whose attitude to service, and whose philosophy and quality are in tune with the realities of manufacturing today. We are experts in our mills’ capabilities and can speak with first hand knowledge of what can be achieved.
Our core business is in precision steel strip, precision wire and tube. Manufactured to specification, designed to perform how our customers want it to perform, delivered in the way that is most efficient and cost effective for them. On time, quality products, direct from the manufacturer, right first time.
We are exclusive UK agents for all our partners and they have one thing in common. They are amongst the worlds best producers of precision metal products.
We are not a traditional stockist, that’s yesterday’s way of doing things. It was an affordable luxury when you had the economies of scale to pay for that service centre margin. We offer more imaginative solutions that do not require the cost of all those overheads. This is why customers and suppliers choose to work with Avocet. We understand the challenges faced by our customers and offer modern solutions to those problems.
Why Choose Avocet Steel
- Get your new product design up and running quickly by sourcing small quantities of bespoke products on short lead times from Avocet.
- Save time and money by sourcing multiple products from Avocet.
- Improve your production efficiencies and profitability by using bespoke products with tight controls on dimensional and mechanical properties, designed together with you for the application.
- Ensure you make the correct product decisions by using our free consultative advice from our in house material experts with over 50 years combined experience.
- Have the peace of mind that your raw materials have been sourced from the highest quality, environmentally and ethically responsible manufacturers, all who have been individually audited by Avocet.
- Improve your cash flow by receiving the correct quantities of material exactly when you need it using our warehouse service.
- Create a competitive advantage by sourcing low to high volumes of the best quality materials at competitive costs.
There is no one quite like us.